Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Learning the guitar...the hard way :)

I was drunk one night and me and mate of mine were talking about wanting to play musical instruments. As we talked more and more about it, the impulse to buy one got bigger and bigger. When I got home that night, I jumped onto ebay to buy one. I had to wait a few days for it to arrive. During the time I struggled to keep my focus. In the days between I download videos of guitarist like Santana and it made the excitement of getting my guitar much more intense. The anticipation was killing me.

Finally the day comes and I get my guitar. With all the excitement in the world. I pull it out of the packaging and wanting to practice right away. First things first, I had to tune the guitar so I can get ready to play it. So I tune the guitar with the assistance of an electronic tuner. I had a lot of trouble fine tuning to get the strings in tune. Then came the last string. I had trouble getting it right. I thought the string was way too loose so I kept tightening it and I couldn't get the string in tune. I get tightening and tightening and still nothing. Then... SNAP! Ahhhh! My guitar. Before I even have a chance to play it I snap the string.

Luckily the guitar came with spares. I jump onto youtube and find videos on how to restring guitars. Luckily for my the guitar came with spare strings but I didn't have any tools to put them in. So I run around the city looking for a screwdriver and plyers to put a new string on my guitar. It took me a while to get this all sorted but I got there. Now! Time to play.

I have never played a musical instrument in my life. I high school I failed music miserably so I just figured I was never made out to be a musician. Not knowing where to start I look to the Internet to help me get started...like I do with everything else :)

I've managed to find a few basic lessons on the web and have learned basic chords and finger exercises to condition my fingers to play effectively. It's been a week now and I still suck. I have trouble transitioning between chords and sometimes the finger exercises get me frustrated.

However, I'm still motivated to learn this motherfucker. I have visions of serenading a harem of ladies to the sweet, sensual and sultry tunes then ripping their clothes off and fucking them like a rock star. And there is of course the idea of busking for a living like Isaac.

Which reminds me of this:

No comments:

Post a Comment