Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sleep

1.What is a good night’s sleep?
To me a good night's sleep is when I wake up knowing it was uninterupted and I feel genuinely fresh. There is this all round feeling of tenderness. I can't remember the last time I had this feeling. I'd do anything to experience it again.

2.Is the quality of sleep more important than the quantity of sleep?
I feel quality of sleep is more important. I suffer from sleep appnea and I struggle to get enough deep sleep. It leaves me tired, grumpy and depressed sometimes. There are days where I don't know if I am asleep or awake.

3.Is it important to get to bed at the same time every night?
Not necessarily. I normally only need one night of quality sleep and I am back to normal.

4.Is it important to get out of bed at the same time every morning?
Not necessarily. I normally only need one night of quality sleep and I am back to normal.

5.What things are essential for a good night’s sleep?
Uninterupted, quiet household, minimal lighting, few distractions in the room.

6.What is the best environment for sleep?
Quiet household, minimal light, cool room, very few distractions.

7.How important is your bedroom for sleep?
I have setup my bedroom in a way so that the only time I enter it is usually when I fall asleep. It's almost like I'm training my brain to send my body to sleep when I jump into bed.

8.Does your bed or bedding influence the way you sleep?
I prefer a hard matress for my posture and breathing when I sleep. The current bed I have at the moment is quite soft. I am looking to get a new one soon.

9.How important is the level of light in your bedroom?
It's almost impossible to sleep with light on. I have to have all lights switched off and that includes the computer and monitor in my room.

10.Should you be sleeping in a warm or cool room?
Cool room. Heat rushes keep me awake at night.

11.Does humidity make a difference to your sleep?
I am probably most likely to fall asleep in a dry environment.

12.What can you do if you are easily awakened by noise while sleeping?
I use meditation audio to block out noise.

13.Should you have a clock in your bedroom?
No

14.Should you have pets in your bedroom?
I don't have any so it's a non-issue.

15.How do you establish a routine that promotes sleep?
I'd say no as I am a shift worker.

16.What are the best ways to relax before going to bed?
Reading. Sitting in silence. Meditation.

17.How can you stop your mind racing while you are trying to sleep?
If something has to be done, do it. Or write it down as a reminder.

18.Is it alright to nap during the day?
Yes. It energises me and allows me to be more productive.

19.Does regular exercise promote a good night’s sleep?
Yes and I probably should do it more.

20.Will a bath before bedtime help you sleep better?
A hot shower will.

21.How close to bedtime can you eat?
About an hour or two.

22.How does drinking water before bedtime influence your sleep?
I can't drink too much otherwise I can sleep. I wake up to go to the toilet a number of times.

23.What natural preparations can help you sleep?
Meditation audio.

24.Why can caffeine make sleeping difficult?
It doesn't really affect me that much.

25.Does mood effect the quality of sleep?
26.What happens to memory as we fall asleep?
27.Is sleep important for memory?
28.Complete the Epworth Sleepiness Scale
29.What is snoring?
30.What can you do about snoring?
31.How does low oxygen affect the body?
32.How does depression effect sleep?
33.How are sleep disturbances treated in people with mood disorders?
34.How do anxiety disorders affect sleep?
35.What can you do to improve your sleep?
Exercise

36.Are you getting enough sleep?
In the past probably not though in recent times the quality of sleep is getting much better. Since I have moved out, I find that I am getting more uninterrupted sleep. There are nights where I don't get much sleep at all and yet I can still survive the day without falling asleep at my desk at work.

37.Is your lifestyle affecting your sleep?
Being a shift worker it's impossible to say it doesn't. I have a more active social life now than I've ever had before and it's making it hard for me to get some decent sleep on some nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment